Thursday, July 4, 2013

José Mourinho writes a patriotic letter to Portuguese players

José Mourinho writes a patriotic letter to Portuguese players



I thought this an interesting perspective about national teams in a day full with qualifiers. Also helps to see the motivational genious Mourinho is and has always been. 


"I have been Portuguese for 47 years and a football manager for 10. Therefore, I am more Portuguese than a manager. Having said that, to make things clear, let’s go straight to the point.

National Teams are not spaces for personal glory, but rather for the glory of a country and, because of this, they should be spaces of deep collective emotion, empathy, and union. Here, with national teams, players are not simply professional footballers – above all, they are common Portuguesewho, because they play better than the Portuguese who are bankers, taxi drivers, politicians, fishermen, or farmers, have been selected to fight for Portugal. And when these chosen ones with a God-given talent get together to play for Portugal, they should do so with one thought on their minds – that they are not simply professional footballers (like those who play in clubs) but, moreover, they are common Portuguese who will do what others cannot do, that is, defend Portugal, its self-esteem, and its joy.  

Obviously, there are matters in Portuguese society that are incomparably much more important than football, than a win or a loss, than qualifying or not for a Euro or a World Cup. But the Portuguese who are going to play for Portugal – I repeat, I do not like to call them footballers – must know where they are going, what they are they going to do, why they are going, and what is expected from them.

For that reason, when the Portuguese Football Federation contacted me in order to become the National Team’s manager, what I felt, in my home, was pride; what I remembered were the hundredths and hundredths of people who, when I’m holidaying, approach to tell me how much they wish me to take this position. It took me, for the first time in my professional life, to make a decision based on emotion rather than rationality – leaving, albeit temporarily, a career plan that has taken me to where I am today.

Pardon my language, but the truth is my thoughts were – screw the negative consequences and the criticisms if I don’t win; screw the fact that I won’t have the time to train and implement the football that has taken me to success; for Portugal, I’ll go!

And this is what I wish to say to those chosen to play for Portugal: with the national team, you don’t display your prestige; you don’t go there for rewards; those who are there must only give – give theirhearts and souls, with no individualities or individualisms. With the national team, there are Portuguese who win or lose, but with their heads up; there is no resentment for sitting on the bench; there must only be room for pride and a positive attitude.

For a couple of days I felt and thought like Portugal’s manager. And I enjoyed it. But I must recognise that Real Madrid is a giant institution, who “bought” me from Inter, who pays me, and who cannot take risks with its associates and fans. Allowing their manager to leave, even if only for a few days, his working environment and to split his focus and his capacities would be unthinkable.

I believe, therefore, that the feedback coming from Madrid arrived to the Federation, causing the meeting between the two to be canceled and the request for my collaboration not to be made official. Much to my sadness and that of President Gilberto Madaíl.

Looking back, I emphasise, however, that such a decision is and was easy to understand. I am at the helm of a giant ship, which I cannot and should not leave for a second. Real made the right decision.

I was disappointed that I was not able to help the National Team, but at the same time I have the clear tranquility of someone who understands that in my hands I have one of the most prestigious jobs in the world of football.

Now, Portugal has a new manager and he should be looked upon by everyone as “our manager” and “the best”, until the day he stops being “our manager”. This strikes me as an exemplar motto: mine is the best! Well, if our manager is Paulo Bento, than Paulo Bento is the best.

As a Portuguese, from Paulo I expect independence, decision skills, organisation, work on support structures, strong mobilisation, and naturally, coherence in the construction of a team model that adapts to the characteristics of the Portuguese that are available to him. Honestly, I think Paulo has the conditions to achieve all of this and for that he will always have my support. If he wins, I, as a Portuguese, will win; if he loses, I, as a Portuguese, will lose. But I also want to win.

In the last meeting of the Champions League managers, when asked about the power of club managers or their loss of powers in this new football world, Sir Alex Ferguson said – and no one has more authority to say it! – that the power and leadership of managers depends on their personalities, but also relies very much on the structures that surround them. Clubs and presidents either weaken or solidify managers.

I send over these wise words for the National Team: everyone in this country should make the National Team’s manager a strong and protected man. And when I say everyone, I mean association, federation, and club leaders, capped and non-capped players, people who work in the media, and finally taxi drivers, politicians, fishermen, policemen, factory-workers, etc. We all must stand together and win. And if we don’t win, let us do it with honour.

But, I repeat, there are things in this country that are more important than football. Incomparably so… unfortunately.

I take this opportunity to wish every Portuguese manager – those who are in Portugal and the numerous ones who now work in so many countries in different continents – a season poor in sadness and rich in joys.

To Xico Silveira Ramos I manifest my confidence in his position as President of the National Football Managers Association.

Best regards to all, 

 

José Mourinho"




(Translated at the request of several members. Forgive my elementar English. Original text in Portuguese is here) 

No comments:

Post a Comment